- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Tigray rock Hewn churches are semi-monolithic or built in to the existing caves. There are over hundreds of rock-hewn churches from Gehralta to Adwa most of them accessible although some are situated on the mountain ranges and involve climbing through fairly difficult terrain. They offer incredible scenery of the surrounding countryside which makes the trip to these churches enjoyable and rewarding.
In this route the Lalibela churches are registered as world heritage sites by UNESCO.
- Very easy tour, built for everyone without Age limit or Gender issues however physical fitness is mandatory as it features climbing and trekking routes ascent for minutes/hours.
- Most of the sites in this tour are religious and cultural legacies, so it is advised to follow the instruction of your escort and local guide and remain respectful to the local beliefs at all destinations for example:
- For the historic part prepare a shawl or a ‘netela’ (as locals call it), when visiting churches.
- Taking photographs in the cultural villages and of the different tribes will be subject to a mandatory photography fee.
- As churches have separate entrance for male and female, ask the guide for proper direction before exploring each.
- Be responsible traveler for the environment, for example do not litter, use available garbage disposals to dump your personal waste etc.
Tips for personal preparation:
- Sun glasses, binocular, sun creams, comfortabletrekking boots for walking, headlamps and small torches, light closes and shorts during day time, Head gear such as hat/cap for sun protection and aspirin – in case of altitude sickness and the likes can improve the quality of your outdoor experience.
Addis AbebaGuests will arrive in Addis Ababa, where they will be welcomed and transferred to their hotel by a Pagumen tour and travel representative. Depending on arrival time a City tour of Addis Ababa will be arranged. Addis Ababa being the center of the country’s Economic, social and political activity has a lot of traditional and modern city life to offer Pagumen guests. On this day the city tour of Addis Ababa will cover the National museum: home for the oldest and famous hominid fossil of ‘Lucy’, Mount Entoto for the scenic view of Addis Ababa the Trinity cathedral church. Also known in Amharic as Kidist Selassie, the Trinity Church is the highest ranking Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Cathedral in Addis Ababa. It was built to commemorate Ethiopia's liberation from Italian occupation and is an important place of worship and ceremonial events in Addis Ababa, and Merkato, (also the city center and recognized as one of East Africa’s largest and vibrant market places). Overnight Addis Ababa
Fly to Mekele- Drive to HawizzenDrive to Hawizzen en route visit Wukro Cherkos church which is found inside the town of Wukro and Abrha we Atsbha the finest church in this cluster. Late afternoon easy time in Mekele Overnight Mekele Overnight Hawizzen
Tigary Rock Hewn Churches/ Churches in the skyAfter early breakfast drive to the Gheralta cluster churches. Guests will visit Churches of Abune Yemata and Mariam Korkor. Gheralta is home to a quarter of the rock churches in the northern cluster of churches, some of which are famous for their stone workmanship, ancient paintings, manuscripts, and others known for their magnificent view and challenging ascent. Overnight Hawizzen
Drive to AxumAfter an early breakfast, drive from Axum. En route, visiting the Yeha temple built between 500- 400 B.C which is one the oldest Jewish synagogues in Ethiopia and sight the battle field of Adwa, the Land mark of Africa’s victory over modern colonial power. Overnight Axum
Fly to Lalibela and city tourAfter an early breakfast fly to the small town of Lalibela in Ethiopia which is home to one of the world's most astounding sacred sites: eleven rock-hewn churches, each carved entirely out of a single block of granite with its roof at ground level. After checking in to the hotel, guests will go on a guided tour to visit the famous rock hewn churches including the legendary St. George church, the trenches symbolic of the river of Jordan and the “tomb of Adam”. Overnight Lalibela
Excursion to the Saint Yimrhane Kirstos MonasteryAfter breakfast guests will be driven to the Saint Yimrhane Kirstos Monastery, which is a cave church that predates the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela. Located 42km northeast from Lalibela, through the small village of Bilbala, the church itself is set amidst wild trees where in which, there will be a short trek to reach the church through the natural scenery. Built from marble and wood, guests will be intrigued with the remarkable architectural skills displayed in the interior and exterior of the Monastery. The panels of the flat roof are richly adorned with geometrical design and on one side of the cave, guests will see mummified bodies of pilgrims from centuries ago. After a short break, guests will then return to Lalibela and the rest of the day will be spent at their leisure. Overnight Lalibela
Fly back to Addis Ababa and DepartureCatch a morning flight back to Addis Ababa and relax until the evening, where guests will have an arranged fare well dinner at one of Addis’ best traditional restaurant featuring live folkloric music and dance show before being driven to the airport for final departure.
- Surface (ground) transport to the sites
- Transfers in and out
- Twin or double bed occupancy basis
- All Entrance fees
- Full Board (Breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Guide service – English Language Speaking professional and Local guide
- Government Tax
International & domestic flights, all any other meals, alcoholic drinks, fax, telephone, laundry, porter fees, tips, photography fees, and other personal expenses not mentioned above.
No Details Found